3.11.2011

Raspberry Gelato

As you well know, my posting has been a little lax.  I'm being treated for TMD right now and because of that am on a soft foods diet.  Not really my idea of a great thing.  So the cooking at my house as been less than great and thus...no recipes worth sharing.

Except this one...
I came across this recipe and got really excited to make it because...well it was soft...and looked so good in the picture!  Oh my was it worth it!!  I've never had gelato before, and now that I have, I can't imagine having to eat sherbet or sorbet.  This is unbelievable...the most pure flavor I've ever tasted in a dish...you just have to try it for yourself.


Here are the basics...
12 oz bag frozen raspberries
2 T. + 2 t. splenda sugar blend (or 1/3 c. sugar)
1/3 c. whipping cream

Combine the raspberries with the sugar blend and allow to sit for about 15-20 minutes.  You want your raspberries to still be a little frozen.
Combine raspberry/sugar mixture in the blender with the whipping cream and blend until smooth.  It'll take a little time and some scraping and moving of the raspberries (I promise it'll be worth the work and the noise of the blender).
Place in a sealed container in the freezer for a few hours until firm.
Now go at it!

A few notes...
You can certainly skip the last step and just eat it straight from the blender...
You can substitute just about any fruit you want in this too...I haven't done any other ones yet, but I'm thinking mango would be unbelievable!

I definitely don't recommend the soft food diet...but this is certainly one of the positive things that has come out of it.

Update:  Raspberry-peach is a great variation on this.  I'm going to attempt not to finish the bowl tonight.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment