9.02.2011

Homemade Box Brownies

I have a confession to make.  

I will take a box brownie over homemade any day.  No questions...hands down...done and done.  

I have just never had a "from scratch" brownie that tasted as good.  

Until I tried this recipe.  I wasn't going to give up on the idea of a from scratch brownie...
and I'm so glad I didn't.  

These are chewy, fudge-y, crisp on the edges (if I didn't have a bridesmaids dress to fit into in two days, I'd be in the kitchen making another batch).  


Mmmm...so good!  Ryan couldn't believe they were from scratch.  
And realistically....while I don't always have a box of brownie mix in my pantry...
I always have these ingredients.

Homemade Box Brownies
adapted from King Arthur Flour's King Arthur Fudge Brownies

1 cup unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp instant coffee
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Grease a 9" x13" pan and set aside.  

In a saucepan, over low heat, melt the butter, then add the sugar and stir to combine.  Heat on low until the mixture is hot, but not bubbling (it will look shiny as you stir).

Transfer the sugar mixture to a medium sized bowl.  Stir in the cocoa, baking powder, salt, instant coffee and vanilla.  Whisk in the eggs, stirring until smooth.  Add the flour and chocolate chips.  Stir until smooth.

Spoon batter into prepared pan.  (At this point I added chopped peanut butter cups to the top...be creative and add your favorite candy or leave as is)  Bake for 30 minutes, or until cake tester comes out with a few moist crumbs on it.  The edges should feel set and the center should look very moist, but not raw.  Remove from oven and let cool completely.  

Cut and serve!


I'm linking up to Jane Deere's Fusion Fridays  

1 comment:

  1. These look delish! I love brownies!

    Thank you so much for linking up to Fusion Fridays! Come back next Friday to see my favorites and to link up again! http://janedeereblog.blogspot.com

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete